VirtueMart

WooCommerce

Others

Docs

Support

Blog

About

Auto Parent Categories for VirtueMart

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Plugin development ceased, all plugins made available freely (GPL)

With great sadness we have to announce that we are ceasing development of all our VirtueMart, WooCommerce and Joomla plugins. Effective immediately, all our plugins -- even those that were paid downloads -- are made available for free from our homepage (GPL license still applies), but we cannot and will not provide any support anymore.

It has been a great pleasure to be part of the thriving development communities of VirtueMart as well as WooCommerce. However, during the last year it became painstakingly clear that in addition to a full-time job, a young family and several other time-consuming hobbies at professional level (like being a professional singer) the plugin development and the support that it requires is not sustainable and is taking its toll. It has been an honor, but it is now time to say good bye!

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Possibility to add single product 23 Mar 2013 11:48 #1

• MarioP
  • MarioP's Avatar Topic Author
Hello.
I'm using VM Auto Parent Categories and it's very useful extension. But the feature of automatically add all VirtueMart products to their parent categories causing problems for me. I have single categories in which I don't have to use Auto Parent Categories (e.g. category "phones" which doesn't contain any subcategories), but the aforementioned feature do this automatically even if I want to add a single product to other category in which I'm using Auto Parent Categories. This feature causing problems with my search engine (searched products have wrong url). So my question is: Is there possibility to add single product and add it to his parent category without changing assignment of all the Virtuemart products??

Joomla 2.5.9
Virtuemart 2.0.18a

Possibility to add single product 23 Mar 2013 13:45 #2

• MarioP
Maybe is there a way to apply VM Auto Parent Categories only to the particular category of Virtuemart? This solution would be very helpful as well. If there's no such option please let me know.

Possibility to add single product 23 Mar 2013 14:18 #3

Currently, it is not possible to apply to one category only, or to particular products. Sorry.

Possibility to add single product 23 Mar 2013 14:48 #4

• MarioP
Ok. Thank you.

Possibility to add single product 28 Oct 2013 21:39 #5

• MarioP
Hello,
I have one question (suggestion maybe...)Version 1.0 of your Auto Parent Categories Plugin had excellent feature,
namely if we unpublish one of the VM categories, products assign to this category are exclude from modifications by the plugin (this way we can exclude certain products or categories from modification). It's very useful function.
In version 1.2 regardless unpublish some of the category, unfortunately the plugin modifies it... Is there any option to apply this feature in this version?

Possibility to add single product 04 Nov 2013 13:31 #6

• MarioP
I see you don't have time to reply for my question.... Maybe, you can make it available (Version 1.0 of your Auto Parent Categories Plugin) for download again?

Possibility to add single product 09 Nov 2013 12:52 #7

Actually, looking at the code changes between 1.0 and later versions, I don't see any changes in that regard. AFAICS, the plugin has always worked on all products (published and unpublished), so version 1.0 wouldn't help you. I have put your suggestion on my TODO list, but I can't promise anything yet.

Best regards,
Reinhold

PS: In version 1.0 there was a bug that only the first 15 categories (or whatever pagination setting you have set for VM) were used. Maybe by unpublishing a category, that category fell out of the categories used and thus you observed that result. But that was due to the category ordering and not the unpublishing itself. It rather meant that also some other categories were accidentally excluded.

Possibility to add single product 12 Nov 2013 09:00 #8

• MarioP
Hmmm...I'm not a programmer so I won't even try to discuss with your opinion of "accidentally excluded" categories. But I'll describe what I see. So I've used to VM 2.0.18a and now I'm using the 2.0.24. On both categories excluding works great. I can even exclude all categories but one and the plugin works only on that one. I also change the pagination for VM. The plugin don't modify anything apart from published categories. Generally I didn't see fortuity on the plugin activity. Maybe someone else is using the V1.0 and can confirm what I describe.
Summarising: it would be great to see that option in the next version of the plugin.

Possibility to add single product 17 Nov 2013 00:57 #9

By "categories excluding" you mean that you unpublish a category, and all products that were assigned this category (even if they were assigned to another category?) were no longer modified?
I wasn't even aware of this behavior in version 1.0.

I'll have to think about how to best implement (GUI-wise) such a feature and what makes most sense and is most useful to a broad audience...

Anyway, as you were happy with version 1.0, I'm simply attaching that older version here, too.
Attachments:

Possibility to add single product 18 Nov 2013 20:32 #10

• MarioP
Yes, by "categories excluding" I mean unpublishing. Fortunately I don't have to disable every single product which I don't want to modify. Plugin doesn't operate on unpublished main categories and it's subcategories (even if they're published) - it means it doesn't modify none of the products that were assigned to those categories.
So when I want to modify just one category I do the following. (Auto Parent plugin is unpublished!)
1. Unpublish all main categories apart from this I want to modify. If modification concerns one of the subcategories I have to unpublish remaining.
2. Go to plugins and publish Auto Parent plugin.
3.After successful modification I again unpublish the plugin.
4. Publish categories
That's all:-)
Thus a good feature is also that I don't have to unpublish every single subcategory, just main categories - that's significantly reduce time of the operation;-).
Generally I don't operate on single products. It's enough to modify the category. Even if I want to add single product (want to modify it), the process is the same. The category is whole modified or not. I think there is no need to exclude one of the product assigned to particular category from modification.
That works for me but unfortunately I can't guarantee it will work for anybody else.
  • Page: