VirtueMart

WooCommerce

Others

Docs

Support

Blog

About

Shipping by Rules for VirtueMart

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Plugin development ceased, all plugins made available freely (GPL)

With great sadness we have to announce that we are ceasing development of all our VirtueMart, WooCommerce and Joomla plugins. Effective immediately, all our plugins -- even those that were paid downloads -- are made available for free from our homepage (GPL license still applies), but we cannot and will not provide any support anymore.

It has been a great pleasure to be part of the thriving development communities of VirtueMart as well as WooCommerce. However, during the last year it became painstakingly clear that in addition to a full-time job, a young family and several other time-consuming hobbies at professional level (like being a professional singer) the plugin development and the support that it requires is not sustainable and is taking its toll. It has been an honor, but it is now time to say good bye!

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Calculate shipping by "Units in Box"??? 21 Nov 2014 19:38 #1

• ajsenol
  • ajsenol's Avatar Topic Author
In Joomla, under the specification for Product Dimensions and Weight, there is a parameter called "Units in Box". We have SKU's that are already partitioned into various product combinations of 1, 2, 3 and 4 units. As shipping would be different depending on the number of units in the box vs the aggregate number of products in the cart - the existing variables of 'articles' and 'products' don't exactly work. Is there a way to calculate shipping by "Units in Box"?/

Calculate shipping by "Units in Box"??? 22 Nov 2014 17:07 #2

Currently (i.e. version 4.3 of the plugin), there is not way to use the "units in box" setting.

I'm currently working on version 5.0 of the plugin, where I add a plugin functionality to the Shipping by Rules plugin, so that one can extend the shipping plugin with your own variables and functions. That feature might be used to calculate the number of boxes used for shipping and store that number of boxes in your own variable that can then be used in the rules.

Notice, however, that this is a custom development, so you'll probably need a programmer to implement that for you (the advantage is that you would no longer need to modify the shipping by rules plugin itself).

I'll make a test/beta version of the shipping plugin available in the next few days.

Best regards,
Reinhold

Calculate shipping by "Units in Box"??? 24 Nov 2014 18:48 #3

• ajsenol
Thank you for your reply. But just to clarify. The "units in box" variable is in virtuemart somewhere. Can we just expose the 'unitsinbox' variable - or whatever it is called, and use it exactly the same way 'articles' and 'products' are used?

Your proposed extension would be useful, but I think all I'm needing is for one more variable to be exposed.

Please see picture attached.

Thanks Reinhold
..AJ
Attachments:

Calculate shipping by "Units in Box"??? 24 Nov 2014 20:00 #4

Yes, I'm aware that this is a setting in the VM product settings. However, there is not one correct use, but this feature is used in many different ways.

-) Some shops sell boxes and use the "units in box" simply to indicate how many items are actually in the box that is sold (e.g. one shop I know sells golf balls, where the product is a box of 3/6/9 balls, and the units in box is set to 6 to indicate that the product contains actually 6 balls).

-) Some shops sell bottles of wine, where they can put three bottles (of whatever sort) into one box for shipping.

-) Some shops sell items where only identical items can be put into the same box. So two different products will always need two boxes, but several units of the same product might be put into the same box.

In all three cases the "Units in box" setting needs to be handled differently. I'm sure there are several other use-cases of this setting.

Since there is no one correct way to handle this setting, I haven't implemented it yet. As every shop might use it differently, the best approach is to write a custom plugin that implements it in the way your shop uses it.

Can you describe in more detail how you use this setting to calculate the shipping?
If I understand your initial posting correctly, each product has a setting 1, 2, 3 or 4, which indicates how many of them can be put into a box. I.e. a product with "Units in box"=3 means that the articles uses 1/3 box. If you have two different products, each with "Units in box"=2, does this mean that you only need one box to ship both (because each of them needs half a box)?

Thanks,
Reinhold

Calculate shipping by "Units in Box"??? 24 Nov 2014 20:13 #5

• ajsenol
Thanks again for your quick reply Reinhold. I appreciate this non-standard use of "units in box" a bit better. Currently my shop has different SKU's for different product combinations. For example, a complete combo order may contain a maximum of 4 products

SKU 1: All 3 products
SKU 2: Product 1, 2
SKU 3: Product 2, 3
SKU 4: Product 1, 3
SKU 5: Product 1
SKU 6: Product 2
SKY 7: Product 3

Depending on how many products, the shipping is different

3 products = Shipping = A
2 products = Shipping = B
1 product = Shipping = C
  • Page: