Shipping by Rules for VirtueMart

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Plugin development ceased, all plugins made available freely (GPL)

With great sadness we have to announce that we are ceasing development of all our VirtueMart, WooCommerce and Joomla plugins. Effective immediately, all our plugins -- even those that were paid downloads -- are made available for free from our homepage (GPL license still applies), but we cannot and will not provide any support anymore.

It has been a great pleasure to be part of the thriving development communities of VirtueMart as well as WooCommerce. However, during the last year it became painstakingly clear that in addition to a full-time job, a young family and several other time-consuming hobbies at professional level (like being a professional singer) the plugin development and the support that it requires is not sustainable and is taking its toll. It has been an honor, but it is now time to say good bye!



The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1


buggy behavior 02 May 2013 10:42 #1

  • dirkb
  • dirkb's Avatar Topic Author
have a production site and live site on 2 different servers.

Installed the plg_vmshipment_rules_shipping_v2.4.1 on the production server, pulished and configured it with ..
Name=A-Post bis 100.- CHF; Amount<100;Shipping=13.5
Name=A-Post ab100.- CHF; 100<= Amount; 4.50

... and have 2 additional standard vm shipping options in there (weight_countries)

On the production site, it works as it´s supposed to be ... changing shipping shows the right prices depending on the configuration.

I did mirror the production site to the live site, and there it´s buggy - when I switch between the shippments, the price is stuck to the configuration of the "rules_shipping" ... shipping prices don´t change when I click to "weight_countries" ?

I do have VM 2.0.20b and onepagecheckout plugin. I did uninstall the plugin, re-installed it and used the database tools ... see screen for the buggy behaviour ... anybody any ideas ?

buggy behavior 02 May 2013 11:33 #2

Apparently the one-page checkout page does not correctly use the new shipping costs (the shipping by rules plugin sets the new shipping costs in the exact same way as the weight_countries plugin does, so they should behave identical in that regard).

Does it work correctly if you switch between weight_countries shipping methods?

Does it work correctly if you turn off the one-page checkout?
Is the order total correct, or does it also use the old shipping cost? (Your screenshot only shows the shipping section, not the total)

Does the server log show any PHP warning/error?

buggy behavior 02 May 2013 12:08 #3

  • dirkb
  • dirkb's Avatar Topic Author
Not sure what will show up on the order on the live site ... I will check - did not dare yet, since it^s live.

What is confusing me, is that the production site works fine, I copied that one including database and moved it over to the live site. same configurations ... except one thing ... https:// is enabled on the live site.

might that be an issue ?

I will test and get back with the live site results.


buggy behavior 02 May 2013 12:23 #4

When debugging such problems, there are always an abundance of possible causes. I would do the following steps to narrow down the cause:

0) Does the web server have any PHP warnings/errors in its log file? Does the browser show any JavaScript warnings/errors? If that's the cause, they usually point to the problem.

1) Check whether switching between two weight_country methods updates the shipping cost correctly. If not, it's a problem with the one-page checkout page. If it updates correctly, it appears to be a problem with the shipping plugin.
(Does it have any influence whether the shipping cost is 0?)

2) Is the order total correctly updated? If it is, it means that the one-page checkout module uses the return result of a different function to display the shipping cost than VM uses to calculate the order total.

3) Does it work if you switch off the one-page checkout and instead use the default VM cart? If that's the case, it is also a problem with the one-page checkout.

The https might be a problem with the one-page checkout module. In particular, if the one-page checkout module uses AJAX to update the costs, then it might either wrongly try to send the request via http rather than https, or some browser setting might prevent the AJAX request from working.


buggy behavior 02 May 2013 18:50 #5

  • dirkb
  • dirkb's Avatar Topic Author
first off all, thanks for all the tips.

Somehow I fixed it on the live site ... the frustrating part is, that I don´t know how - turned ajax on and off, got rid of the shipping methods, created new ones ... suddenly it worked. I can´t reproduce it.

buggy behavior 03 May 2013 22:27 #6

Great to hear that things started working miraculously. I would guess that https in connection with AJAX caused problems (e.g. old settings from the non-https site transferred), and when turning it off and on again the correct settings were restored...

[SOLVED] buggy behavior 10 May 2013 12:35 #7

Problem solved.
  • Page:
  • 1